QUICK GUIDE TO ALGAL BLOOMS
- Farm Dams
- Current Algal Alert Levels
What is an algal bloom?
Under favourable environmental conditions, blue-green algae may increase in numbers rapidly, causing population explosions, called blooms. When numbers of blue-green algae are at bloom level their noxious properties can cause problems for a range of water users. Algal blooms are unsightly and create an unpleasant odour. More importantly, the toxins of some species can cause sickness in humans and death or illness in stock or pets.
MRACC identify the presence of a bloom as the circumstances when the numbers of potentially toxic blue-green algae are high enough to pose a threat to :
- Public health - when water may be used for consumptive (drinking) and domestic purposes.
- Public health - when a natural water body may be used for recreation.
- Stock - where the water supply is a natural body (this does not include private dams).
Photograph courtesy of NSW, DLWC publication "What Scum is That?"
Problems with blue-green algae
At low concentrations, blue-green algae cause no problems and are part of the natural water environment. In Australia , no human deaths have been directly attributed to blue-green algae although many stock deaths have been reported. At high concentrations of blue-green algae the following problems may be encountered:
• Some toxins affect the skin and sensitive membranes. Other toxins affect the liver and may make a person more susceptible to other diseases. Children and those with liver problems may be more at risk. Neurotoxins affect the nervous system. In humans skin and eye irritation, dermatitis, gastroenteritis, diarrhoea and vomiting, nausia and headaches may occur.
• Stock and wildlife may suffer skin sensitisation, paralysis, convulsions, liver damage, disorientation, constipation, scours, abortion or even death.
• Foul taste and odour to the water.
• Blocking of filters and sprinklers.
• Water treatment processes due to chemical changes in the water.
• Fish and other aquatic organism health due to extreme day/night fluctuations in water dissolved oxygen and pH.
What to do if you have blue-green algae
It is important to act quickly if you suspect that you have blue-green algae. Until you have a positive identification (or otherwise), treat the situation as potentially a full High Alert blue-green bloom.
1. Follow The quick 7 step guide
2. What to do Next - Detailed information on what to do if you find blue-green algae in your water supply. Who to contact, how to take a water sample, where to send it etc.
The Quick 7 Step guide to dealing with algal blooms
Step 1 - Positively identify the algae/scum. 1. Use the QUICK ID TEST or 2. Detailed ID Test. 3. Contact a DLWC water quality officer for details on how to get the algae identified.
Step 2 - Use an alternative safe drinking water supply for humans and animals.
Step 3 - Avoid human and animal contact with water.
Step 4 - Report blue-green algae in public waterways to DLWC or your local council. Report blue-green algae in farm dams to the Dept. of NSW Agriculture.
Step 5 - Prior to treatment of any water supply contact DLWC.
Step 6 - Continue to monitor the state of the bloom and respond to any Algal Alerts.
Step 7 - Do not use any water until confident it is safe to do so.
Safe Drinking Water supplies
- Use bore or rain water where available.
- Once a bloom has started only use water from the contaminated source after FILTRATION through ACTIVATED CARBON.
- Algicides are not recommended as they may cause the release of more toxins by breaking the algal cells down. Algicides may be damaging to the environment if used in rivers, creeks, lakes or any other water body.
Water treatment Information
Coldplay is an extremely popular band, especially amongst the youth, for making some of the greatest rock music ever. After their worldwide hit song “Yellow”, the band went onto release numerous other hit singles and albums. Some of their best-selling albums include Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X&Y. The band has received numerous honors and awards for their distinctly brilliant music records. So the Coldplay Hannover concert is expected to be a major hit event as throngs of fans from all over America are anticipated to be a part of this major live concert. You can buy the Coldplay Hannover Tickets available on our website now!
The mega Lollapalooza Chicago IL event features all of the popular pop, hip-hop, heavy metal, alternative rock and other musical groups. The festival also arranges different sorts of thrilling dance performances and comedy shows. It was first inaugurated in the year 1991 by Perry Farrell, the renowned singer from Jane’s Addiction. Over the years, this annual touring musical festival has gained much popularity and hosts over 160,000 individuals in the 3 days it lasts. So in order to be part of this happening music carnival, you can buy your Lollapalooza Chicago Il Tickets from reliable website, for some exciting family fun this year!
The very famed Australian band, Air Supply consists of the talented guitarist Graham Russell and the amazing vocalist Russel Hitchcock. The band was established in the year 1975 and gained immense success through some of their outstanding hit singles. Megahits like “The One That You Love”, “Lost in Love” and “Making Love out of Nothing at All’ took the fans by a storm. Their songs also featured in films like Mr. & Mrs. Smith and The Wedding Date. Air Supply Las Vegas concert is expected to attract a huge number of audiences, so Find Air Supply Las Vegas Tickets on our website for an evening full of their sensational hits.
This popular hard rock band from Canada barely needs an introduction. Formed in 2001, the band has won the hearts of their fans through numerous hit music numbers including “Low Life”, “Make up Your Mind” and “So Happy”. They’ve also won awards for the New Group of the Year as well as for Rock Recording of the Year in 2003 and 2009 respectively. Theory of a Deadman Houston concert will feature an extravaganza of country, post grunge, acoustic and hard rock performances by the band. So buy your Theory Of A Deadman Houston Tickets now for a rocking live event.
Monster Jam Trucks FL show is expected to be a major hit this season. The mighty, humongous and massive trucks racing with each other will keep you entertained throughout the event. These heavy-duty trucks can even go up to 100 miles/per hour. So to witness whether your favorite truck soars through or gets smashed, buy your Monster Jam Trucks Fl Tickets For Cheap from our safe and reliable website now! There will also be a pits party for the fans where they will get a chance to actually meet the drivers along with their enormous trucks and get some autographs.
? 2002. NSW Murray Regional Algal Coordinating Committee, MRACC. Unless otherwise specified, maps and images are copyrighted to Department of Land and Water Conservation, NSW.