NSW Murray Regional Algal Coordinating Committee (MRACC) has provided all the invaluable information of the Blue-green Algae on this Blue-Green Algal Bloom Management website. MRACC is a public Service Committee which serves the public, water users and the Organisations who manage blue-gree Alage in the NSW Murray River catchment.
It was the Year 1878 when the first first Australian toxic bloom of blue-green algae was discovered in Lake Alexandria, South Australia.The reports of harmful blooms have been increased which are badly affecting the water use. In the Summer of 1991-1992, The world’s largest Algal Bloom was recorded at the Barwon-Darling River System. The range of this poisionous bloom was 1000 km as authentically reported by the Blue-Green Algae Task Force 1992.
The algae are a polyphyletic and paraphyletic group of organisms. They are defined in differing ways, but are usually considered to be the photosynthetic organisms excepting plants. Using the term 'plants' in its most restrictive fashion, the algae are then photosynthetic organisms excepting the sister group to the Charales (i.e. the land plants). Such a definition allows inclusion of photosynthetic prokaryotes such as the cyanobacteria. The definition applied here is that the algae is that artificial subset of the photosynthetic eukaryotes which excludes the sister group to the Charales (land plants).
Algal bloom :- An algal bloom occurs when the numbers of algal cells increase rapidly to reach concentrations usually high enough to be visible to the naked eye. This high growth reproduction require favourable conditions such as high nutrient or light levels.
Many types of algae form blooms. Some of these blooms are harmless, but when the blooming organisms contain toxins, other harmful chemicals, or pathogens it is known as a harmful algal bloom, or HAB. HABs can cause the death of nearby fish and foul up nearby coastlines, and produce harmful conditions to marine life as well as humans.
Blue-green algae is the common name for several different types of algae. They are actually bacteria (Cyanobacteria) which are able to photosynthesise, hence the green colour. Cyanobacteria are bacteria that grow in water and are photosynthetic (use sunlight to create food and support life). Cyanobacteria live in terrestrial, fresh, brackish, or marine water. They usually are too small to be seen, but sometimes can form visible colonies. Cyanobacteria have been found among the oldest fossils on earth and are one of the largest groups of bacteria. Cyanobacteria have been linked to human and animal illnesses around the world, including North and South America, Africa, Australia, Europe, Scandinavia, and China. Cyanobacteria are the most common, but not the only, group of algae to form HABs.
Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad.
Dangers of HABs
1. They spoil water quality when present in large numbers by producing odours or thick scums.
2. They can make drinking water smell and taste bad.
3. They can make recreational areas unpleasant.
4. Dense blooms can block sunlight killing other plants and animals.
5. When algae decompose they may use up oxygen in the water and cause fish kills.
6. Some cyanobacteria that can produce toxins that are among the most powerful natural poisons known. The toxins are poisonous to humans and may be deadly to livestock and pets.
7. CyanoHABs can make people, their pets, and other animals sick. Often, the first sign that an HAB exists is a sick dog that has been swimming in an algae-filled pond. Children are at higher risk than adults for illness from CyanoHABs because they weigh less and can get a relatively larger dose of toxin.
We can protect ourselves, our family and our pets from exposure to HABs by following the instructions as under:-
1) Don't swim, water ski, or boat in areas where the water is discolored or where you see foam, scum, or mats of algae on the water.
2) If you do swim in water that might have a HAB, rinse off with fresh water as soon as possible.
3) Don't let pets or livestock swim in or drink from areas where the water is discolored or where you see foam, scum, or mats of algae on the water.
4) If pets (especially dogs) swim in scummy water, rinse them off immediately-do not let them lick the algae (and toxins) off their fur.
5) Don't irrigate lawns or golf courses with pond water that looks scummy or smells bad.
6) Report any "musty" smell or taste in your drinking water to your local water utility.
7) Respect any water-body closures announced by local public health authorities.
The Algal bloom can be prevented in the following ways:-
1) Algae need three things for optimal growth: light, nutrients and high temperatures. Therefore, By Lowering the nutrients, light and temperature available to the blue-green algae in the water supply will help reduce algal growth. The speed at which water is flowing and mixing is important in controlling light and nutrient availability to algal cells.
2) Keeping livestock away from the farm dam or water supply.
3) Avoiding run-off into water supply from fertilizers and pesticides
4) Taking some water treatment measures BEFORE a bloom starts; and if practical - changing mixing patterns or covering the dam/water supply to screen out light may help.
Home ballpark of the Chicago Cubs Wrigley Field is hosting the 94th season of Major League Baseball this year. With its 41118 capacity the stadium was ranked as the fourth-smallest but the most actively used venue in 2006. Since 2004 this baseball Mecca has been drawing around 3 million fans each year averaging Wrigley Field Tickets to an almost-sellout. For the past few years the venue has also been hosting a number of concerts by the popular artists and bands like the Police and Jimmy Buffet. This year also many artists are scheduled to perform here including Elton John with Billy Joel and Rascal Flatts.
If you are an American football fan then you are about to enjoy this year’s biggest sporting event. The team Oakland Raiders was established in the 60s and is a part of the Western Division of the American Football Conference in the National Football League.?? They are now ready to give their opponents a tough time. So far they have won 3 Super Bowl Championships along with 15 Division and 4 Conference Championships. With the Cheap Raiders Tickets all you sports lovers will get a chance to enjoy the game live. Reserve your Cheap Raiders Tickets before they are all sold out!
The Indianapolis 500 is a US car race which is held in Speedway Indiana every year. The event is not only rated as one of the oldest motorsport events but it is considered one of the three most significant motor racing events in the world. With a large seating capacity it is the biggest single-day sporting event in the world. The event has been relayed live on the radio since 1930 by the local radio network since 1953. It has also been covered on television though live coverage has not been accommodated. On Sunday May 24 2009 the race was held for 93rd time. Get Cheap Indianapolis 500 for automobile race thrills that will go beyond your dreams!
The New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles are all set to square off in a huge East National Football Conference battle. This season the giants needs to sharpen their play as they are going to take up a Philly team with quite a few wins under their belt. Fans of both teams are rooting for them and expect top notch power play in the ground. The much awaited New York Giants Philadelphia is going to be the event of the season and worth attending. Watch these two rivals in a heated game and be part of the pulsating action. Sales of New York Giants Philadelphia Tickets are already hard to find so get your as soon as possible.
Sam Boyd Stadium has been entertaining football fans since it opened in 1971. The stadium is a state-of-the-art football venue which has a capacity to seat more than 36,000 people for a single game. You can choose from a long list of all your favorite football events and you will be on your way to a fun of a lifetime. This is your chance to book Sam Boyd Stadium Las Vegas-Nv Tickets and to experience the real fun of football and all that it ensues. Don''t wait any longer for booking your Tickets as these Tickets are famous for selling out with the speed of light.
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer as well as Vocal Group Hall of Famer Frankie Valli & Four Seasons is known as one of the best selling musical group of our time. Although the band was sometimes referred to as a Doo Wop act but later they established their identity as being one of the most popular bands before the Beatles. Although with the fluctuating line up the group still tours all across the world doing what they do the best. So don''''t miss them out as they hit Vienna and secure your Frankie Valli The Four Seasons Vienna Va Tickets today.
The American Football Conference Championship Game or simply the AFC Championship Game was first played in 1970. It is one of the two semi-final playoff matches of the National Football League (NFL) and features the majority of Super Bowl winners including last year''s champion the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers who had succeeded and won the earlier two years. This year the Patriots are once again looking to take back the AFC East crown being led by Tom Brady and Randy Moss. Book your Cheap AFC Championship Game: New England Patriots Tickets today as they likely to go out fast!